Monthly CARAG Neighborhood Meeting Minutes
June 20, 2017
Attending: Diana Boegemann, Diana Crane, Colin Harris, Brad Klein, Tricia Markle, Nancy Reistenberg
Absent: Blake Bailes, Ginny Buran, Jay Lindgren
The meeting was called to order at 7:06PM.
Introductions & Announcements
Board members and attendees introduced themselves.
Agenda & Minutes
Motion, seconded to approve the agenda and May 16 meeting minutes,. Approved.
Bryant Square Park, Tavante
- The BSP Ice Cream Social is July 12, 6-8pm.
- BSP is seeking soccer and football coaches for the fall.
- Thai Kwon Do and a Women’s Self Defense class will start in July.
- BSP has a Little Free Library.
- Contact Bryant Square Park at (612) 370-4907 for more information.
10th Ward City Council Update, Ron Harris- Policy Aide
- The City Council’s Transportation & Public Works Committee approved the preliminary layout for the Hennepin Avenue Reconstruction project and it is scheduled to begin in 2018. The project includes on-street bike lanes, parking on the east side, and improved pedestrian facilities.
- The City is looking into updating the Climate Action Plan to ensure Minneapolis meets climate goals in line with the Paris Climate Agreement.
- The MN Legislature failed to restrict Minneapolis’ ability to set work place rules during the session because of the Governor’s veto. However, they did ban cities from banning plastic bags.
- The City is moving towards purchasing the land under the Kmart store at Lake and Nicollet in the next few months. However, Kmart has a long-term lease for their store, so reopening Nicollet Avenue is several years away.
3149/ 3151 Hennepin Development, Michael Pink (Lander Group) Andy Madson
- Pink and Madson presented a proposed redevelopment of the site, which now includes two commercial buildings and a surface parking lot. That would be replaced with a four-story, mixed-use structure including retail, office, 25 apartments, and underground parking. There will be 23 standard stalls, 6 tandem stalls, and 18 bike racks in the underground garage, but isn’t required to provide any parking per zoning rules. The project requires 3 setback and a floor area ratio (FAR) variance and conditional use permit (CUP) for height. Once approved, the project is expected to start in October 2017 and finish in August 2018.
- Some neighbors were in attendance to ask questions about the project including questions about parking, building design, and construction impacts.
Land Use & Transportation Committee, Colin Harris
- The LU&T committee reviewed the 3149/51 Hennepin project at their May and June meetings and forwarded a resolution for consideration. Motion, seconded to support the 3149/ 3151 Hennepin Avenue development proposed by the Lander Group including setback and FAR variances and the CUP for height. Approved. 18-2.
- Engel reported that Hennepin County Transportation has recently determined that they will not allow parklets or street cafes on County roads. This means CARAG’s plan to deploy a parklet at Vicinity Coffee at 3350 Lyndal has been scuttled for now. He encouraged neighbors to contact County Commissioner Marion Greene about this decision.
NRP Implementation Committee, Carol Bouska
- Bouska noted that the Committee has been working over the last year to find ways to create more affordable housing in and around the CARAG neighborhood including moving $200,000 in NRP funds from home loans to a fund for affordable housing. She noted that the JD Graves Foundation approached CARAG about a project they are proposing at 1930 Hennepin Avenue, and they met with several committee members about it recently. The Foundation plans to build a 41-unit apartment building with mostly affordable units of which 15 will be dedicated to young adults aging out of the foster care system. The Committee is recommending support for the project and had a proposed letter available for reference. The Committee will also research a partnership with Graves on a future project in CARAG.
- Motion, seconded to support the JD Graves Foundation project at 1930 Hennepin Avenue and send the letter of support. Approved.
Treasurer’s Report, Scott Engel/ Brad Klein
The CARAG Operations and NRP Administrative account reports were available through May for review.
Adjourn: The meeting adjourned at 8:25PM.