CARAG Neighborhood Meeting
April 17, 2018
Attending: Ginny Buran, Max Ellis, Chris Finlay, Brad Klein, John Kostouros, Jay Lindgren, Jason Lord, Tricia Markle
Absent: Colin Harris
The meeting was called to order at 7:08PM.
Introductions & Announcements
• Board members and attendees introduced themselves.
Agenda & Minutes
• Motion, seconded to approve the agenda and March 20 meeting minutes,. Approved.
Bryant Square Park, Jason Green
• Wading pool construction has been delayed due to snowfall and frost remaining in the ground, but the pool is expected to open June 1.
• Outdoor sports activities will be delayed due to snow as it will take some time for ball fields to get in good condition.
• Air conditioning will not be installed at the recreation center this year, but Green will secure a second, portable A/C unit for the building.
• Construction at Kenwood, Linden Hills, and Painter Park will result in their recreation centers closing temporarily and programs being relocated to BSP.
• Contact Bryant Square Park at (612) 370-4907 for more information.
10th Ward City Council Update, Ron Harris
• The City is designing and later constructing a new office building near City Hall to consolidate offices. A series of design meetings have taken place with more to come.
• The City has been researching ways to make sure affordable housing is part of new housing construction including through “inclusionary zoning”.
Hennepin Ave Reconstruction, Debra Jacobs & Stephanie Malmberg- Public Works
• Jacobs and Malmberg described the Hennepin project which extends from Lake to 36th Streets. The roadway, curbs, sidewalks, and most utilities will be replaced starting in May with substantial completion in November. The new street layout will include a narrower roadway, on-street bike lanes, a grassy boulevard with trees, pedestrian level lighting, and bus stop upgrades. The 3000 block features a mid-block crossing for pedestrians.
• Previously, construction was expected to begin on the north, but now crews will start from the south at 36th Street. Hennepin will be closed to through traffic in two phases- 36 to 31 Street and 31 to lake Street. Buses will detour onto Girard and Fremont, between 31st and 36th Streets, with some parking removed to create bus stops. Buses will use Irving Ave southbound and Dupont going northbound when the 3000 block of Hennepin is reconstructed this fall.
• The City’s website has more info about details of the project and eventually the construction schedule: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/cip/WCMSP-191952#maincontent
Livability & Engagement Committee, Tricia Markle
• - Hennepin Ave Rain Gardens: Markle is leading a CARAG effort to establish rain gardens in the new boulevards along the Hennepin Ave corridor to capture storm water. CARAG is partnering with ECCO and Metro Blooms now to identify potential locations and seek interest from property owners.
• Earth Day Clean Up: The clean up has been postponed until May 12 due to the snow.
• Super Sale: The event is May 19 and registration info will be available soon.
Treasurer’s Report, Brad Klein/ Scott Engel
• The CARAG account reports were available through March for review, as well as the fiscal year 2018 budget tracking reports.
adjourn: The meeting adjourned at 8:40PM.