CARAG Neighborhood Meeting
August 15, 2017 Minutes
Attending:Blake Bailes, Diana Boegemann, Ginny Buran, Colin Harris, Jay Lindgren, Tricia Markle
Absent: Diana Crane, Brad Klein, Nancy Riestenberg
The meeting was called to order at 7:06PM.
Introductions & Announcements
- Board members and attendees introduced themselves.
Agenda & Minutes
- Motion, seconded to approve the agenda and June 20 meeting minutes,. Approved.
Bryant Square Park, Jason Green
- Green has a meeting scheduled this week with MPRB staff to learn more about the schedule for the wading pool construction.
- Area parks have taken on some of the programming formerly provided by the Southwest Senior Center. BSP has a Thai Kwon Do class on Thursdays.
- Green is looking to hire staff for the fall.
- Contact Bryant Square Park at (612) 370-4907 for more information.
10th Ward City Council Update,
- No update.
City Election / Ranked Choice Voting: Yonis Musa- Minneapolis Elections Department
- The election is November 7 with candidates for Mayor, City Council, Park Board, and Board of Estimates and Taxation on the ballot. Candidate filing runs from August 1-15, and the final list will be available on August 18.
- Musa discussed how to pre-register, obtain an absentee ballot, and vote using the Ranked Choice Voting method, which is used in Minneapolis municipal elections.
Nominations for the CARAG Board of Directors
- Board elections take place for all 9 board seats at the CARAG Annual Meeting on September 19. The organization accepts nominations at the August meeting, as well as prior to the election at the annual meeting.
- The following neighbors were nominated and will appear on the ballot: Blake Bailes, Ginny Buran, Max Ellis, Colin Harris, Brad Klein, Jay Lindgren, Tricia Markle
Livability & Engagement Committee:, Tricia Markle
- The committee is recommending approval to move forward with a project to repurpose the BSP wading pool dolphin as sculpture. It would be relocated within the park and covered in mosaic tile to tie in with the mosaic panels working with artist Sharra Frank to lead the project.
- The estimated project total is $5,000 with funding coming from CARAG’s NRP contract with MPRB and a potential matching grant from People for Parks.
- Motion, seconded to support the project and move forward with it. Approved.
- “The Secret Life of Pets (2016) will be shown on August 26 in the BSP ball field. Blue Bell Ice Cream food truck and activities are planned before the movie starts at dusk.
NRP Implementation Committee, Jay Lindgren
- Lindgren highlighted recent efforts by the committee to support affordable/ supportive housing including the Bridge for Youth’s “Rita’s House” and the PERIS project at 1933 Hennepin Avenue. The group will continue to seek ways CARAG NRP funds can bring about more projects like this including to CARAG.
- The Committee is recommending an one-year extension of a contract with the Center for Energy & Environment (CEE) to administer CARAG’s home loan programs. A new fee structure would reduce the yearly fee to $2,500, as well as charge a 10% origination fee to loan recipients. Motion, seconded to approve the contract extension and fee structure. Approved.
Treasurer’s Report, Scott Engel
- The CARAG Operations and NRP Administrative account reports were available through July for review.
- Engel presented proposed FY2018 budgets for the Operations and NRP Administration accounts, as well as budget tracking reports.
Adjourn: The meeting adjourned at 8:19PM.